Washington University Occupational Therapy works with our patients on self-management and self-care all year-round. With February being American Heart Month we want to promote self-care heart-healthy tips for your daily routine. Below are some actions that you can include in your routine;
- Get a daily dose of physical activity, such as a brisk, 30-minute walk.
- Cook meals that are low in sodium and unhealthy fats.
- Take your medications as prescribed and keep your medical appointments.
- Sleep 7-8 hours a night.
- Manage stress through yoga, mindfulness, and wellbeing, or quiet time with a book.
- Try to reach or stay at a healthy weight by moving more and having snacks like fruits and veggies on hand when hunger kicks in.
These few basic tips will help you begin or refocus on your journey toward a healthy heart!