Washington University Occupational Therapy works with our patients on self-management and self-care all-year-round. With February being American Heart Month we want to promote self-care heart-healthy tips for your daily routine. Below are some actions that you can include in your routine;
- Get a daily dose of physical activity, such as a brisk, 30-minute walk.
- Cook meals that are low in sodium and unhealthy fats.
- Take your medications as prescribed and keep your medical appointments.
- Sleep 7-8 hours a night.
- Manage stress through yoga, mindfulness, and wellbeing, or quiet time with a book.
- Try to reach or stay at a healthy weight by moving more and having snacks like fruits and veggies on hand when hunger kicks in.